Assistant Professor - Physical Therapy 24-21
Tenure-Track Faculty Position Announcement
Department: Physical Therapy
Faculty Hire Number: #24-21
Rank: Assistant Professor
Effective Date of Appointment: August 21, 2024 (Subject to Budgetary Approval)
Salary Scale: $77,000 to $82,000 (Dependent upon qualifications)
CSUN's Commitment to You:
CSUN is committed to achieving excellence through teaching, scholarship, learning and inclusion. Our values include a respect for all people, building partnerships with the community and the encouragement of innovation, experimentation, and creativity. CSUN strives to cultivate a community in which a diverse population can learn and work in an atmosphere of civility and respect. CSUN is especially interested in candidates who make contributions to equity and inclusion in the pursuit of excellence for all members of the university community.
As a Hispanic-serving Institution (HSI), inclusiveness and diversity are integral to CSUN's commitment to excellence in teaching, research, and engagement. As of Fall 2022, CSUN enrolls ~38,000 students, where 57.3% are Latinx, 19.8% are White, 9.2% are Asian-American, 4.9% are Black/African American, 0.1% are Native American, and 0.2% are Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander.
For more information about the University, visit: http://www.csun.edu
About the College:
For more information about the College of Health and Human Development, see:
About the Department:
For more information about the Department of Physical Therapy see: https://www.csun.edu/health-human-development/physical-therapy
The Department of Physical Therapy at California State University, Northridge (CSUN) is seeking a tenure-track faculty member to teach in the target areas of clinical application of musculoskeletal evaluation and treatment, musculoskeletal foundational sciences, and therapeutic procedures at the rank of assistant professor.
The successful candidate will teach in-person on-campus graduate courses offered by the department and will have research interests in physical therapy musculoskeletal theory/practice and/or its foundational sciences, and will maintain a record of scholarly activities. Faculty members may be asked to develop new courses as needed by the department.
In addition to teaching, the position requires weekly office hours, attending faculty meetings, participation in assessment of student learning, and service to the department, college, and university. The successful candidate will be held to the standards and requirements of the college and department in which he/she/they is/are housed for recommending tenure and promotion. The successful candidate will be expected to join faculty and staff in commitment to active learning, assessment of learning outcomes, participation in departmental student activities, accreditation preparation, curriculum reform, and shared faculty governance including possible term serving as Department Chair. Given CSUN's commitment to excellence in teaching, research, and engagement in a diverse environment, the successful candidate will help the department achieve equitable academic outcomes for all students through teaching, student mentorship, scholarship, and service. CSUN is also committed to sustainability practices, and the Department of Physical Therapy in the College of Health and Human Development recognizes its impact on public health. The successful candidate will educate students about, and participate in, departmental sustainability practices.
- A degree in Physical Therapy from a Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) accredited, non-hybrid Physical Therapy program
- License to practice physical therapy in the state of California by the time of application (provide license number on CV)
- A conferred doctorate degree (academic and/or Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree) from an accredited institution by the time of application
- Evidence of excellence in teaching at a college/university level, in-person and on-campus
- Evidence of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) in their teaching, scholarship, and/or service
- Minimum of 3 years of full-time clinical experience in musculoskeletal physical therapy practice in the United States
- A terminal academic doctorate degree (PhD, EdD, DSc, etc.) is desirable; candidates that are ABD or currently enrolled are also given additional consideration.
- Applicants with more than 3 years of full-time clinical experience, evidence of clinical specialization/certification, and/or clinical expertise in target teaching areas will be given additional consideration.
- Number of years and level of DPT program University teaching experience will be considered, with current experience teaching as primary course instructor in target areas with experience in curriculum reform/course creation highly desirable.
- Experience with utilizing instructional technology in teaching is valued.
- Additional consideration may be given to applicants whose teaching and/or clinical expertise aligns with target teaching areas.
- It is desirable that applicants document a record of scholarly accomplishments describing the level of active participation and responsibility in the scholarly work, evidence of a research agenda, and/or evidence of securing funding to support scholarly agenda and teaching. A continued record of peer-reviewed, non-predatory publications will be needed for tenure and promotion.
- Experience adopting inclusive student-centered approaches to teaching and mentoring leading to a supportive learning environment are highly valued.
- Additional consideration will be given for evidence of collaboration, leadership, mentorship, and service activities documenting a strong commitment to diverse students and/or underserved groups.
- Evidence of effective engagement OR potential to engage with a diverse student body.
- Experience using culturally responsive pedagogy that leads to equitable outcomes for all students.
- Experience creating a student-centered learning environment.
- Research/Lab experience that includes working with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience adopting inclusive approaches to mentoring.
The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate an ongoing positive record of effective academic teaching. Additional responsibilities include scholarly activities, student advisement, doctoral-level curriculum development, student doctoral project advising and shared faculty governance including possible term serving as Department Chair. Service to the department, college, university, and community will be expected, as well as active participation or leadership roles in the profession of physical therapy or relevant organizations. It is assumed that the successful candidate will conduct publishable research.
The successful candidate will be required to teach in-person on-campus on weekdays, with teaching/service activities possibly including evenings and weekends. The Department of Physical Therapy is fully-accredited with nine full time faculty serving approximately 100 graduate students.
Applications are due by November 6, 2023. Consideration will only be given to applicants who meet this deadline.
How to Apply:
Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN online application. To apply and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
Applicants must submit:
- Cover letter addressing the above qualifications and responsibilities
- Curriculum vitae that includes contact information for three (3) professional references
- Evidence of teaching quality
- DEI statement of no more than one (1) single-spaced page outlining specific actions/steps taken that demonstrate how the candidate advances diversity, equity and inclusion through their teaching, scholarship, mentorship and/or service
Submit these items to the website noted in the section above. In later stages of the search process, applicants may be requested to provide additional material, including verification of terminal degrees, licenses and certificates, and may be requested to interview in-person on-campus.
At time of appointment, the successful candidate, if not a U.S. citizen, must have authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work in the United States.
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Northridge has made crime-reporting statistics available on-line here. Print copies are available by request from the Department of Police Services, the Office for Faculty Affairs, and the Office of Equity and Diversity.
The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California and prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside of California.
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Nondiscrimination Policy. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Jennifer Steinrad at 818-677-2203.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/nr/en-us/job/532492/assistant-professor-physical-therapy-2421
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency